Manawatu Standard

GPS shows gang president near killing site

- Maxine Jacobs

The reason a Manawatu¯ gang president is struggling to remember what happened the night a member was killed is because he’s woven a web of lies, the Crown says.

Yesterday was the third day Jeremiah Su’a spent in the witness box in the High Court at Palmerston North facing questions about the death of Codi Wilkinson.

Wilkinson was found dead in Bunnythorp­e in September 2019, two weeks after he was last seen by friends and family.

The Crown said Jeremiah Su’a, his brother Mariota Su’a, Dean Arthur Jennings, Quentin Joseph Moananui and Jason David Signal murdered Wilkinson in September 2019.

They deny the murder, kidnapping of Wilkinson and his friend Kyle Rowe, wounding Rowe with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and participat­ing in an organised criminal group.

The Crown said Jeremiah Su’a, the president of the Manawatu¯ chapter of the Aotearoa Mongrel Mob, ordered Wilkinson and Rowe to be depatched after they robbed a man, who senior police have told the trial was a drug dealer.

After the defendants found Wilkinson and Rowe they took them to Barry Long’s home in Bunnythorp­e as an apology for their robbery, Crown prosecutor Deborah Davies said.

Davies put to Jeremiah Su’a that he and the other defendants depatched and killed Wilkinson because he went against the gang and couldn’t be tamed.

Jeremiah Su’a maintained he never depatched Wilkinson because he was never a member of his chapter of the Aotearoa Mongrel Mob.

However, Wilkinson’s partner gave evidence earlier in the trial he had earned his patch. He also had a large tattoo stating Mongrel Mob across the lower half of his face.

As GPS phone tracking images were shown to the court, Davies put to Jeremiah Su’a that he had planned the depatching from 7pm on September 12, gathering the other defendants together before heading to Ashhurst to do the deed. ‘‘See these guys were fighters weren’t they? Codi and Kyle? Especially Codi, he was a real fighter wasn’t he? He was fearless.

‘‘You and the other people with you took a hammer, a spanner and tomahawk, and a machete to Mulgrave St to deal to Codi and Kyle.

‘‘You’ve just made this story up to explain why you were outside these trees, otherwise you would have told the police what you were there for because it’s close to the blood.’’

The reason GPS pinpoints him at the address was because he was helping Signal fix a car, Jeremiah Su’a told the court.

Davies challenged his memory, suggesting even if he wasn’t involved, he must have heard something.

‘‘So it’s your evidence that this attack happens on Codi and Kyle while you’re in the area, shown by your GPS, and you have no idea about it,’’ Davies asked. Jeremiah Su’a told the court he knew nothing of what had happened to Wilkinson and Rowe. The trial continues.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand