CLEAR DAYS AHEAD
Adopt a breakout-busting skincare routine
S uffering from cystic acne can leave you feeling pretty helpless when nothing seems to work. If you can’t afford to invest in cosmetic acne treatments, make sure the products you’re using for your beauty routine at home are helping, rather than hindering the situation. There are a lot of common misconceptions when it comes to choosing the right products but they’re 70 percent of the equation — that’s a pretty staggering stat if you ask us — so it’s important to select correctly.
1. Regulate excess sebum production by using Ultraceuticals Ultra Clear Foaming
Cleanser, $62, morning and night. The salicylic acid rids pores of dirt and debris without stripping the skin of its protective layer.
2. Improve texture and exfoliate away stubborn blackheads with Clearasil Ultra
Rapid Action Scrub, $14.99. Use no more than twice a week as exfoliating too often can encourage the skin to overcompensate with excess oil production, leading to more breakouts.
3. Remove the day’s makeup with Tailor Skincare Oil Cleanse, $39, which cleanses without depriving your skin of its natural hydration.
4. Estée Lauder Daywear Matte Oil Control Anti-oxidant Moisture Gel
Crème, $98, will keep you shine-free all day, making it the perfect primer for your mineral foundation.
5. After exercising, wipe your face as soon as possible with Simple Kind to Skin Cleansing Facial Wipes, $11.99, to immediately cleanse the skin of sweat, dirt and oil.
6. Do you suffer from bacne? Alpha-h Liquid Gold Luxe Resurfacing Body Cloths, $39.95, are soaked in a rich blend of soothing Chamomile, Marine Algae, Aloe Vera and Glycolic Acid. The cloths are textured on one side which helps to buff away dead skin cells, and smooth on the other to hydrate and rejuvenate your skin. You only need one cloth to treat the entire body.
7. The different areas of your face often present different problems — your chin might be dry while your nose is oily. Instead of using one mask all over, embrace multi masking: apply two or three clay masks to different areas of the face, depending on your concerns. From top to bottom: Ultraceuticals Ultra Clear Purifying Mask, $79; L’oréal Paris Detoxify and Brighten Pure Clay Mask, $24.99; Essano Clarifying Clay Masque, $16.99.
8. Treat angry blemishes head-on with these active spot treatments. From left: Witch Skincare Blemish Stick, $10.99; Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, $26, from Mecca Beauty; Ultraceuticals Ultra Clear Spot Treatment, $42.