Motorhomes Caravans & Destinations
THE FOUR FIGURES
JOHN JOSEPH WOODS An advertisement in an 1876 Saturday Advertiser for the Best National Air for a National Hymn, with a prize of 10 guineas, led John Joseph Woods, head teacher at local St. Patrick’s School, which still stands on Colonsay Street, to compose music to go with Dunedin poet, Thomas Bracken’s words. Of 12 entries, his was chosen and ‘God Defend New Zealand’ became the national anthem.
John could play 12 instruments and was also the conductor of St. Patrick’s choir. He served as County Clerk from 1876 to 1931 for the Tuapeka County Council and was admitted as an honorary Freeman in December 1931, the first in the British Dominion to receive the honour. Built in 1902, his home at 17 Lancaster Street is known as Anthem House and is a listed Historic Place Category 2 building.
Privately owned, there is a plaque attached outlining its history.
1842 - 1929
John Stenhouse, arriving in Dunedin from Scotland in 1864, was appointed to Lawrence School that same year. The school had a roll of 20 pupils at the time and became Lawrence District High School in 1878. In 1891, having been in charge for 27 years, all staff working there had been taught and trained by him. He taught in Lawrence for 46 years.
ARCHIBALD MCKINLAY Buying a business operating from a tent in Gabriels Gully in 1862, Archibald Mckinlay, Edward Herbert and John Herbert, all Scotsmen, began trading it as Herbert and Co. In 1868, they built a store in Ross Place. Replaced in 1981, a plaque now marks the site which is on the Heritage Trail. John Herbert sold his interest in the business in 1873 to the remaining partners, with Mckinlay buying out Edward Herbert in 1899/1900.
A branch was established in 1903 in Waitahuna and by 1904 Herbert & Co. was one of the oldest businesses in Otago, buying gold and selling drapery, groceries, timber, alcohol and grain. Family members continued the business until 1952.
Mckinlay’s substantial redbrick home can be seen at 20 Peel Street, now home of the Lady of Lawrence B&B.
EDWARD HERBERT Edward Herbert arrived from Scotland in 1862, and as well as being a partner of Herbert and Co., was the second Mayor of Lawrence, from 1872 to 1874. He promoted the opening of Lawrence School, and later moved to Dunedin. He died in Scotland.