are all wed­ding cars equal?

No! Some are le­gal op­er­a­tors, oth­ers are back­yard op­er­a­tors! To guar­an­tee your safety, the qual­ity of ser­vice and a trou­ble-free wed­ding only use le­gal op­er­a­tors.

My Wedding - - REAL WEDDING -

TThe Driver:

The Ve­hi­cle.

The Com­pany.

he low­down is that if you’re pay­ing for wed­ding trans­port then the ve­hi­cle is deemed to be a Pri­vate Hire ve­hi­cle and the driver/op­er­a­tor must ad­here to all NZTA laws and reg­u­la­tions ap­ply­ing to Pri­vate Hire ve­hi­cles. To be le­gal your driver, ve­hi­cle and op­er­a­tor must meet the fol­low­ing NZTA reg­u­la­tions: The NZTA sets high stan­dards for driv­ers of pas­sen­ger ve­hi­cles. They must hold a cur­rent P en­dorse­ment, in­di­cat­ing that they have passed a pro­fes­sional driver’s course and driv­ing test, passed a po­lice check and an ex­ten­sive med­i­cal ex­am­i­na­tion. They must dis­play an NZTA driver photo ID card on the front dash­board area where it can be eas­ily seen. The ve­hi­cle(s) must have a cur­rent Cer­tifi­cate of Fit­ness (not a War­rant of Fit­ness) which en­sures that it meets a higher stan­dard of safety. The Com­pany op­er­at­ing the ve­hi­cle(s) must have a Pas­sen­ger Ser­vice Li­cence, dis­played on the left side of the ve­hi­cle’s wind­screen. A PSL en­sures the com­pany has passed an ex­am­i­na­tion on the ap­pli­ca­ble laws and reg­u­la­tions, along with a Po­lice check. If you’re pay­ing for a wed­ding car that doesn’t meet NZTA’s le­gal re­quire­ments, your driver is break­ing a num­ber of laws and is li­able for sub­stan­tial fines.

While there’s no re­quire­ment for com­pa­nies to dis­play their Trans­port Ser­vices Li­cence ei­ther on their premises or on their web­site, a good op­er­a­tor will in­deed have th­ese on dis­play. It’s ad­vis­able that cou­ples ask for proof of the TSL, COF and the driver’s P en­dorse­ment.

Re­mem­ber: a com­pany or driver not op­er­at­ing within the above bound­aries is not go­ing to have any pub­lic li­a­bil­ity in­sur­ance - in the event of an ac­ci­dent, you’d have to rely purely on ACC. And a po­lice road­side check would spell disas­ter –the car could im­me­di­ately be im­pounded, leav­ing you mi­nus wheels on the most im­por­tant day of your life!

Many cou­ples bor­row a trendy Kombi or flash Maserati from a mate for free or a tank of petrol, but the mate of­ten in­sists on driv­ing. If there’s pay­ment in­volved (re­ward or gain – whether it’s a free meal or hard cold cash) and he’s not fully le­gal, he will be fined AND have the ve­hi­cle con­fis­cated for a very lengthy pe­riod of time! So, you can use a mate’s trac­tor or Un­cle Peter’s prized Fer­rari … but there must be no “re­ward or gain” in­volved what­so­ever! Some­thing as sim­ple as fill­ing the car with petrol is a “gain” when it comes to the let­ter of the law!

Seek out fully qual­i­fied op­er­a­tors and fully qual­i­fied driv­ers to en­sure you are hir­ing safe ve­hi­cles with safe and pro­fes­sional driv­ers. The real pros are not only fully le­gal, but will take care of those lit­tle things – a brolly on a wet day, bub­bly and wa­ter in the car, a towel to wipe sweaty palms, a cloth to clean muddy shoes ... the lit­tle things that add qual­ity to your day.

By sup­port­ing those who go to the lengths re­quired to op­er­ate legally, you’ll be gain­ing a more valu­able ser­vice … and no doubt you’ll be and feel much safer! Writ­ten with as­sis­tance from Roger at Pal­las Cars. All Pal­las driv­ers are pro­fes­sion­als who hold a cur­rent full PSL Li­cence. Pal­las Cars is reg­is­tered with the NZTA as a Pas­sen­ger Ser­vice.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.