MAKING PAPER STEP BY STEP
1. Tear your scrap paper into small pieces the size of a postage stamp. Tear enough to fill six cups, then place in a bucket or tub and soak overnight.
2. Make the mould (a frame with a screen). Cut two pieces of angled pine moulding at 360mm and two pieces at 270mm. (You can make your mould as big or small as you like.) Mitre the corners at a 45° angle. Apply wood glue to the cut ends, form a frame, then staple together. 3. Cut wire mesh to fit onto the frame and staple on the bottom. Cut out a piece of fibreglass mesh 350mm x 260mm. 4. Make the deckle (a frame without a screen). Cut two pieces of 18mm x 18mm pine at 345mm and two at 255mm. Mitre corners. Staple together to form frame.
5. Place two handfuls of soaked paper in an old food processor. Add some water and whiz to a pulp. Tip into a tub then repeat with the remaining paper.
6. Fill tub with water, add petals or leaves if desired, stir the pulp, then dip your mould and deckle in the water (like you’re scooping). Lift flat and allow to drain.
7. Remove deckle. Pick up the mesh and slowly flip over while lowering it onto felt, with paper side facing away from you. Sponge off water. Remove mesh. Let dry.
MAKE YOUR OWN