109 Small acorns
• Queensland Garden Expo. Nambour Showgrounds, on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast. 55 nurseries, 360 exhibitors, 120 presentations and over 40,000 plants sold each day. To find out more and purchase tickets online, go to qldgardenexpo.com.au. July 13-15
• Food Forest Workshop. History, design process, implementation and maintenance. Food forest tour and practical sessions at Kahikatea Farm, Hawke’s Bay. Discount on plants. kahikateafarm.co.nz. June 2-3
• NZ Bird Conference. Lectures, presentations, field trips, workshops. Waitangi, Bay of Islands. Register at osnz.org.nz. Contact Les Feasey (Conference Convener) 027 225 7754, email@example.com. June 2-4
• Pukeiti explorer day. Annual bird survey. Learn the sounds of the forest and the foods for birds. 2290 Carrington Rd, New Plymouth. 0800 736 222. pukeiti.nz. 10.30am-2pm. June 3
• Understanding Soils. Tutor Kazel Cass. Contact Catherine 027 240 1305. 375 Whakamarama Rd, Tauranga. plentypermaculture.co.nz. June 9
• Plant Propagation with the seasons.
375 Whakamarama Rd, Tauranga. Contact Catherine 027 240 1305. plentypermaculture.co.nz. 9 June
• Tupare¯ exhibition. Displays of wood craft and lathe techniques by artists and craftspeople. 487 Mangorei Rd New Plymouth. 0800 736 222. tupare.nz. 10am-3pm. June 9-10
• Auckland Herbs Winter Seminar.
Speakers: Kelli-Jo Walker, Forage and Ferment, Sarinah Hurford, Tonic Room. Members $5, visitors $10. Horticulture
Centre, 990 Great North Rd, Western Springs. Contact: Kirstie 027 416 1047. 1.30-4.30pm. June 16
• Rhododendron Auckland. Speakers: Lee and Roy Neale. Growing orchids and plants for sale. Afternoon tea provided. St Aidan’s Social Lounge, Ascot Ave, Remuera. Contact Robyn 09 524 0241. 1.30 pm. June 20
• Hollard Gardens. Woodcraft expo. Displays and demonstrations of wood craft and lathe techniques by local craftspeople and artists. 1686 Upper Manaia Rd, Kaponga. 0800 736 222. hollardgardens.nz. 10am-3pm. June 24
• National Bird Survey. Count the birds visiting your garden. Search for bird survey on landcareresearch.co.nz for more info. June 30-July 8
• Understanding Soils. Tutor Kazel Cass. 375 Whakamarama Rd, Tauranga. Contact Catherine 027 240 1305. plentypermaculture.co.nz. 7 July
• Introduction to Permaculture Design. Ethics, principles, site and house design, soil, organic gardening, water in the landscape, community and alternative economics, practical sessions on composting, no-dig gardens, and site design. Kaihikatea Farm, Hawke’s Bay. kahikateafarm.co.nz. July 13-16
• Hollard Gardens workshop. Growing plants for free from cuttings and seed collection. 1686 Upper Manaia Rd, Kaponga. 0800 736 222. hollardgardens. nz. 10am-12pm. July 22
• Tupare¯ workshop. Pip and stonefruit tree pruning and tool maintenance. 487 Mangorei Rd New Plymouth. 0800 736 222. tupare.nz. 10am-12pm. July 29
SOUTH ISLAND June
• Dunedin Botanic Garden Hort Talk. Speakers: Warwick and Keitha Ross who walked the length of New Zealand on Te Araroa trail. Free. dunedinbotanicgarden.co.nz. 12-1pm. June 1
• Dunedin Botanic Garden Hort Talk. Planting Natives: 30 years of tips and tricks. Speaker Lala Frazer, Save The Otago Peninsula shares 30 years of experience of planting natives, including planting in different habitats and success in the face of different pests. Information Centre. Free. dunedinbotanicgarden.co.nz. 12-1pm. July 6
Free event listings.
Email your event details (at least 10 weeks ahead) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Event Listing” in the subject line.