GELLERT NURSERIES LTD
Specialist greenhouse propagators
VACANCY FOR GROWING MANAGER
Gellert Nurseries Ltd is a leading grower of vegetable seedlings for the greenhouse industry based in Karaka, South Auckland. The company has an excellent reputation and is an established business serving growers throughout New Zealand. Job Summary: The successful Growing Manager is responsible to efficiently and effectively produce quality plants through proper cultural practices. They will ensure that growing activities are performed as planned; preparing all material and labour needs; communicating with Supervisors and the production and operations teams. Summary of essential job functions:
• Maintain proper fertilization and pesticide applications to ensure quality production on a scheduled time line and maintain proper data for analysis.
• Manage cultural environments for each variety and report any problems.
• Design spray programmes and ensure such programs are carried out effectively while maintaining proper records for spraying and fertilizing.
• Train and supervise all growers / irrigators / pesticide applicators.
• Follow SOP's and suggest changes/improvements, update SOP's when procedures are incorporated
• Assist with crop assessment and quality control.
• Propose creative solutions to problems that may arise.
• Act as a role model, working alongside team members, and demonstrate a positive work ethic.
• Enforce safety regulations at the work areas.
• At least 3 years propagation experience or crop management or large-scale horticulture
• Operate irrigation, fertilization and any spray equipment
• Ability to prepare written reports
• Ability to manage assets - equipment, labour
• Ability to budget, program, manage and schedule
• Results-oriented leader
• Ability to demonstrate high ethical standards and set a positive example for colleagues
• Motivate, develop and direct colleagues, identifying the best people for the job
• Good interpersonal communication, able to work well with others and as part of a team
If this sounds like you then we want to hear from you! Remuneration will be negotiable based on skills and experience Please apply with CV and covering letter to email@example.com