NZ Lifestyle Block
9 tips to successful chemical-free weed management
Research from the US found nine key strategies for maintaining good quality pasture (or crops) without the use of sprays.
• SOIL test and fertilise accordingly.
• SELECT adapted species combinations, eg horses and sheep.
• MAINTAIN proper soil pH.
• USE appropriate seeding rates.
• CONTROL perennial weeds before sowing new pasture.
• PRACTICE rotational grazing.
• WALK pastures to catch emerging weed problems.
• CONTROL developing weed problems by hand cutting or mowing.
• CONSIDER renovating pasture if it starts to develop a weed problem.