Man jailed for killing ex­wife; pair speak of feel­ing of guilt

Otago Daily Times - - COURT & GENERAL -

CHRISTCHURCH: In­no­cent by­standers who tried to save a woman from a fren­zied street stab­bing have spo­ken about their feel­ings of guilt and help­less­ness at be­ing un­able to save her life.

Two peo­ple stopped to try to help Keshni Naicker (28), who was be­ing at­tacked by her knifewield­ing ex­hus­band in Christchurch on Septem­ber 15 this year.

They saw Shiu Prasad (52) chas­ing his pet­ri­fied and bleed­ing for­mer wife down Ilam Rd be­fore she tripped and fell and he re­peat­edly plunged a large knife into her.

Prasad was yesterday sen­tenced in the High Court at Christchurch to life im­pris­on­ment with min­i­mum non­pa­role pe­riod of 13 years.

The court heard how he had mar­ried Ms Naicker in 2013 but be­came en­raged af­ter she left him ear­lier this year.

The cou­ple had been liv­ing in Christchurch but on Septem­ber 8 had an ar­gu­ment, which led to Ms Naicker mov­ing out of the mar­i­tal home. The next day, the rest­home worker told Prasad it was over.

Un­known to Prasad, Ms Naicker had met Asveen Sha­ran (31) on­line in Jan­uary.

Af­ter Septem­ber 9, Prasad re­peat­edly asked Ms Naicker if she was in a re­la­tion­ship with an­other man, which she de­nied.

On the af­ter­noon of Septem­ber 15, Prasad spot­ted his ex­wife and Mr Sha­ran walk­ing to­gether near the Bush Inn shop­ping mall.

That night, Prasad took a kit­ chen knife and sta­tioned him­self out­side Ms Naicker’s work, wait­ing for her shift to fin­ish.

While he waited Mr Sha­ran showed up to walk his partner home. But as they started walk­ing along Ilam Rd, Prasad ran up be­hind them and stabbed Ms Naicker in the back. He then stabbed the new boyfriend in the head.

Mr Sha­ran fell to the ground and Prasad stabbed him an­other four times.

Mr Sha­ran started fight­ing back and told Ms Naicker to run for it.

A 29­year­old stu­dent was driv­ing to the su­per­mar­ket with a friend, when she passed the scene.

Ms Naicker was scream­ing and tried to get into the back of their car as Prasad chased her.

But the good Sa­mar­i­tans could not un­lock the doors quickly enough and Ms Naicker ran to­wards the in­ter­sec­tion with Han­ra­han St be­fore she tripped and fell — about 80m from where the at­tack be­gan.

Prasad stabbed her in what was de­scribed as a ‘‘fren­zied as­sault’’.

Ms Naicker, who re­ceived six ‘‘sub­stan­tial’’ stab wounds, died in the am­bu­lance at the scene while paramedics worked on her.

The pair who stopped to help said yesterday they re­mem­bered wip­ing blood from her face as she lay there dy­ing and felt guilty that they could not un­lock the car and save her life.

In the mid­dle of the night, they reg­u­larly phoned each other ‘‘cry­ing, of­ten no words’’. — NZME

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.