A healthy take on comfort food
A delicious, lighter and more exotic version of steak and mash.
SESAME BEEF PAVE STEAKS WITH PUMPKIN AND GINGER MASH
1 x 600g butternut pumpkin, peeled and diced 2cm until you have 11⁄2 cups’ worth teaspoon oil, for cooking (or use spray oil)
1 tablespoon water teaspoon finely grated ginger Each week Nadia gives you another easy recipe for your family and you’ll find all the ingredients in My Food Bag. myfoodbag.co.nz
teaspoon oil, for cooking (or use spray oil)
275g lean beef rump steaks (at room temperature, any excess fat trimmed)
1 clove garlic, minced
11⁄2 teaspoons sesame seeds
teaspoon soy sauce medium pot of salted water to the boil. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Preheat barbecue grill or hot plate to medium (if using). Prepare ingredients.
1. Toss pumpkin, oil and water on prepared tray and season. Bake for about 25 minutes, until tender. Place in a medium bowl, add ginger and mash until smooth. Season to taste and set aside, covered, to keep warm.
2. While pumpkin cooks, prepare broccoli salad. Grate carrot; very thinly slice onion; mince garlic; cut cucumber in half lengthways and thinly slice; cut radishes in half and thinly slice. Place all in a medium bowl and set aside. Cut broccoli into small florets and dice stalk 1cm.
3. Cook broccoli in pot of boiling water for about 2 minutes. Add peas and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, until bright green and tender. Drain, rinse under cold water and leave to drain well.
4. Heat oil in a medium fry-pan on medium heat. Pat beef dry, toss with garlic, sesame seeds and soy sauce. Cook beef for 3-4 minutes each side for medium (depending on thickness), or until cooked to your liking. Alternatively, cook on barbecue. Set aside, covered, to rest before slicing thinly against the grain reserving any resting juices.
5. Add all remaining broccoli salad ingredients to bowl with salad veges, toss well to combine and season to taste. Whisk together all dressing ingredients until combined.
To serve, share broccoli salad between plates and spoon pumpkin and ginger mash beside salad. Top with sesame beef, and drizzle over resting juices (if desired) and dressing.
Sesame beef pave steaks with pumpkin and ginger mash.