Sunday Star-Times

Petty overdosed


Tom Petty died last year because of an accidental drug overdose that his family says occurred on the same day he found out his hip was fully broken, after performing dozens of concerts with a less serious injury. Petty’s wife and daughter released the results of the musician’s autopsy yesterday on his Facebook page, moments before the Los Angeles coroner’s office issued its official findings, which confirmed that Petty had a mix of prescripti­on painkiller­s, sedatives and an antidepres­sant in his system. Among the medication­s found were fentanyl and oxycodone. Petty suffered from emphysema, a fractured hip and knee problems, and had been prescribed various pain medication­s, including fentanyl patches, his family said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand