Television host Carlson told: ‘We know where you sleep at night’
Police say they are investigating a protest and vandalism at the home of Fox News host Tucker Carlson as a possible hate crime. It’s the latest example of protesters targeting the personal lives of Trump administration officials and allies in the D.C. area.
Police Department Metropolitan reported that officers were summoned to Carlson’s home on Wednesday evening, local time, and found about 20 protesters and a commonly used anarchy symbol spray-painted on the driveway.
A brief video posted on social media by a group calling itself ‘‘Smash Racism DC’’ shows people standing outside a darkened home chanting ‘‘Tucker Carlson we will fight. We know where you sleep at night.’’
The video was from Twitter.
There were no arrests, but police confiscated several signs. The report lists the incident as a ‘‘suspected hate crime’’ on the basis of ‘‘anti-political’’ bias.
The Metropolitan Police said in a statement they welcome and support all expressions of free speech and First Amendment rights, but that ‘‘defacing private property’’ is an obvious violation. later removed
‘‘We will work to hold those accountable for their unlawful actions. There is currently an open criminal investigation regarding this matter,’’ the statement said.
Carlson has been a major supporter of President Donald Trump and his policies. In recent months, White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and Republican Senator Ted Cruz were all either refused service or berated by restaurants.
A statement released by Fox News called it ‘‘reprehensible’’ and called for more civil discourse at a time of intense political polarisation. ‘‘We as a nation have become far too intolerant of different points of view,’’ the statement said. ‘‘Recent events across our country clearly highlight the need for a more civil, respectful, and inclusive national conversation.’’ –AP protesters in area Houthi rebel fighters took up positions yesterday on top of one of Hodeidah’s main civilian hospitals, Amnesty International warned, as fighting in the crucial Yemeni port city intensified despite calls for a ceasefire.
The human rights group said that civilians inside the hospital were at risk of being hit by a Saudiled coalition air assault after militiamen set up a position on the roof.
‘‘This is a stomach-churning development that could have devastating consequences for the hospital’s medical workers and dozens of civilian patients, including many children,’’ Amnesty said.
The group warned that while the Houthis use of the hospital for military purposes was a violation of international law, it was not a justification for coalition forces to target the building.
‘‘Anyone attacking a hospital under these conditions risks responsibility for war crimes,’’ it said.
Fighting in Hodeidah has intensified in the last week as Yemeni government forces and their Saudi and UAE allies try to wrest control of the city from the Houthi rebels, who are backed by Iran.
Dozens of civilians and combatants have been killed as coalition forces, led by the UAE, pound the city with airstrikes and push through its streets as part of a renewed offensive that began over the weekend.
‘‘Either the rebels surrender the city peacefully or we take it by force, but we will take it either way,’’ a UAE commander said as coalition troops advanced, pushing aside rebel bulldozers.
The intensified attack came despite a US call for a ceasefire in Yemen within 30 days, followed swiftly by UN-brokered peace talks in Sweden.
The coalition offensive appears to be an effort to improve the Yemeni government’s standing on the battlefield so it will be in a stronger position during eventual negotiations with the Houthis.
Hodeidah is the main lifeline for food and humanitarian aid for civilians in Houthi-controlled territory in the north of Yemen.
Human rights groups have warned that fighting around the port threatens to plunge the rest of the country into even deeper misery. – Telegraph Group road blocks with