Brexit: What’s next?
● MPs are due to vote on Prime Minister Theresa May’s EU withdrawal deal, tomorrow morning NZT. The vote has been delayed before.
● May’s deal is not expected to pass. The voting process starts at 8am and amendments will be dealt with first. One amendment rejects the May deal and no-deal. It will also give MPs input into the next steps. The main vote would be between 9am and 10am.
● What happens then depends on if and how badly May loses. May could be underpressure to resign. Labour would most likely push for a no-confidence motion.
● If defeated, May has until next Tuesday to tell MPs what her next plan is. The Prime Minister could try to get concessions from the EU. MPs would debate and vote on a revised plan next week.
● Various scenarios could happen: An election, second referendum or Brexit being called off are possible. The Guardian reports that the EU is expecting Britain to ask for an extension of the withdrawal deadline to July.