City avenge past de­feats in fi­nal

Coach lauds ef­fort in field as mod­er­ate to­tal de­fended in clinch­ing T20 crown over ‘bench­mark’ side Kaipara

The Northern Advocate - - Sport - Adam Pearse

It was third time lucky for City’s premier cricket team as they won their sec­ond T20 crown in four years, beat­ing Kaipara by 17 runs at Cob­ham Oval on Sun­day af­ter­noon.

The side has reached the past four fi­nals of North­land’s T20 com­pe­ti­tion, but had lost the last two. Kaipara had seen suc­cess across the T20, 50-over and two-day for­mats so the game was bound to en­ter­tain.

“Kaipara have al­most been our bo­gey team and it’s been a few games since we’ve beaten them so it was good to get one back on them,” City cap­tain Harry Darkins said.

“They’ve prob­a­bly been the bench­mark side over the last cou­ple of years in all for­mats, so go­ing into the game on Sun­day we knew it was go­ing to be a tough one.”

Win­ning the toss and elect­ing to bat, City scored 123/6 off their 20 overs which his­tory said was a be­low­par score. Al­most all scores of around 120 had been chased down in the com­pe­ti­tion to date.

City’s opener Cal­lum Gegg was their top scorer with an im­por­tant 42 be­fore Kaipara spin­ners Michael O’Fla­herty and Luke Beaven turned the screws on the City bats­men, mak­ing it hard to score on a well-used Cob­ham pitch.

Both bowlers picked up two wick­ets, go­ing for un­der five an over off their four overs.

Kaipara started their in­nings badly with cap­tain Rory Christo­pher­son run out by his op­pos­ing skip­per in a tight call in the third over. From there, Kaipara strug­gled to form any part­ner­ship of sub­stance with No 3 Kyran Dill top-scor­ing with 29.

Tight bowl­ing from Gegg and opener Stacy Hyn­d­man, who both picked up three wick­ets, and golden ducks for two of Kaipara’s mid­dle or­der bats­men en­abled City to con­trol the game and have Kaipara all out for 106 with one ball left in their in­nings.

Darkins said hav­ing score­board pres­sure in a fi­nal was al­ways go­ing to play to City’s ad­van­tage.

“We knew if we bowled well and put them un­der pres­sure, we’d give our­selves ev­ery chance which we man­aged to do.”

Darkins lauded his side’s ef­fort in the field, hang­ing on to some im­pres­sive catches in the deep and work­ing hard to re­duce the runs Kaipara bats­men found in Cob­ham’s large out­field.

Kaipara skip­per Christo­pher­son said the game was al­ways go­ing to be hard to win af­ter they lost the toss, but cred­ited City’s bowlers for how they stran­gled his bats­men for runs.

“De­spite not hav­ing any recog­nised spin­ners on a pitch that would ab­so­lutely suit that, it tells you a bit about how their seam­ers bowled and man­aged to de­fend 123.”

He said this would give his side ex­tra mo­ti­va­tion to con­tinue their good form in the 50-over com­pe­ti­tion and se­cure a home fi­nal af­ter the last game of the com­pe­ti­tion this week­end.

In the re­serve grade fi­nal held on Sun­day morn­ing at Cob­ham, Maun­gakaramea beat Bream Bay, chas­ing down their op­po­nent’s 117 with six overs to spare, David Heappey top­scored for Maun­gakaramea with 38.

In Satur­day’s round of premier 50-over matches, Kaipara, City and Maun­gakaramea all recorded vic­to­ries in the penul­ti­mate round of the com­pe­ti­tion.

Kaipara chased down Whanga¯rei Boys High School’s score of 93 all out at Kens­ing­ton Park. Four of Kaipara’s bowlers took two wick­ets each, re­strict­ing their op­po­si­tion to the low to­tal, which was chased down in 18 overs.

At the Maun­gakaramea Do­main, On­er­ahi couldn’t de­fend their score of 123 against Maun­gakaramea af­ter the home side chased it down in just un­der 38 overs with four wick­ets down.

De­spite On­er­ahi’s Fletcher Coutts scor­ing a run-a-ball 64, Maun­gakaramea bowler Chris Page took five wick­ets in a row with the vis­i­tor’s score at 44/4, leav­ing On­er­ahi with lit­tle chance of vic­tory.

City would go on to make it two wins from the week­end as they chased Kamo’s 135 at Cob­ham Oval in 33 overs.

Kamo were on the brink of col­lapse at 59/8 be­fore Nos 10 and 11, Nathan Parkes and Matt Kingi, scored 17 and 32 re­spec­tively and got their side to a some­what de­fend­able score.

How­ever, City got to their tar­get with rel­a­tive ease, los­ing just three wick­ets with Stacy Hyn­d­man, who took three wick­ets in the first in­nings, re­turn­ing with the bat to score a match-win­ning 47.

Kaipara and Maun­gakaramea are tied at the top of the ta­ble with one round left.

On Satur­day, Kaipara play On­er­ahi at Kens­ing­ton Park, Maun­gakaramea take on City at Maun­gakaramea Do­main and Kamo play WBHS at Kamo Recre­ation Ground in games which will de­cide who will host the fi­nal on Fe­bru­ary 17.

Kaipara have al­most been our bo­gey team and it’s been a few games since we’ve beaten them so it was good to get one back on them. City cap­tain Harry Darkins

Photo / Michael Cun­ning­ham

City’s Cal­lum Gegg, seen here play­ing Kamo on Satur­day, proved the dif­fer­ence on Sun­day against Kaipara with a score of 42 and three wick­ets.

Photo / Supplied

City play­ers dis­cuss tac­tics dur­ing the T20 fi­nal on Sun­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.