Hor­ror Sun­day for Kain­garoa res­i­dents

No con­sent given for burn-out event

The Northland Age - - Local News -

Kaye Drag­ice­vich be­gan com­plain­ing about her Kain­garoa neigh­bour Mark Has­san’s plan to build a burn-out pad when he be­gan ex­ca­vat­ing with­out plan­ning ap­proval or neigh­bours’ con­sent.

Neigh­bours had gone to the Far North and North­land Re­gional coun­cils, and they had warned Mr Has­san, al­though they could not pros­e­cute him un­til he be­gan caus­ing noise or air pol­lu­tion.

“When I com­plained to [Mr Has­san] he or­dered me off his prop­erty,” Mrs Drag­ice­vich said. She said Fe­bru­ary 18 was a “hor­ri­ble” day.

“For three hours from 1.30pm for three hours we were sub­jected to loud noise from high-pow­ered mo­tors revved up to the max­i­mum, with mod­i­fied or no ex­hausts fit­ted, screech­ing tires, to the point where rub­ber was boil­ing, back­fir­ing, and some mo­tors ac­tu­ally exploded.

“Thick, dense, white smoke high in tox­i­c­ity was car­ried by wind across our pad­docks, in­side our house and con­tin­ued across our farm and to the olive or­chard on our bound­ary.

“The smell came in­side our house, even though doors and The own­ers of the Kain­garoa prop­erty where a ‘burn-out pad’ and as­so­ci­ated build­ings have been con­structed were told as early as July last year that they might need a re­source con­sent, ac­cord­ing to the Far North Dis­trict Coun­cil.

They were also asked to pro­vide de­tails of the struc­tures as part of a re­source con­sent ap­pli­ca­tion.

“There is no record of an ap­pli­ca­tion be­ing made to the coun­cil,” act­ing gen­eral man­ager dis­trict ser­vices Dar­ren Ed­wards said last week.

“The ‘burn-out’ event on Sun­day Fe­bru­ary 18 may win­dows were closed.

“There were no pre­cau­tions in place to stop the smoke from drift­ing on to pri­vate land or across SH10. If the had wind changed smoke would eas­ily have im­paired vis­i­bil­ity for the gen­eral pub­lic trav­el­ling at speeds of up 100km/h.”

The smoke had

caused also have re­quired a re­source con­sent from the coun­cil. Again, the prop­erty own­ers were ad­vised of this prior to the event.”

The ac­tiv­ity may have breached the dis­trict plan due its scale, the num­ber of peo­ple who at­tended and prox­im­ity to lakes, rivers and wet­lands, Mr Ed­wards said.

The NZ Trans­port Agency should also have been con­sulted in case the event re­quired traf­fic con­trol mea­sures.

Mr Ed­wards said the coun­cil had re­ceived sev­eral com­plaints re­gard­ing the event, demon­strat­ing why on­go­ing re­s­pi­ra­tory is­sues for her fam­ily, with cough­ing and headaches.

Their beef cat­tle had also taken fright, al­though they were many pad­docks away, stam­ped­ing back­wards and for­wards, putting them­selves at risk of in­jury or death.

“We lost a big bul­lock a few en­force­able rules such as those in the dis­trict plan and the Re­source Man­age­ment Act were needed.

“These rules are some­times blamed for sti­fling the rights of prop­erty own­ers, but, as this in­ci­dent shows, these rights must be balanced against the rights of other res­i­dents and land own­ers to freely use and en­joy their land,” he said.

The coun­cil had is­sued in­fringe­ment and abate­ment no­tices to both the prop­erty owner and the per­son who had run the event. Any­one who breached an abate­ment no­tice could be li­able for a $750 fine. years ago, fright­ened by a po­lice heli­copter, which it broke its back when it ran down a steep slope, so we know what could hap­pen again,” she added.

Her hus­band Paul had tried to calm the cat­tle, and was even­tu­ally able to move them fur­ther away, but it took them a full 24 hours to set­tle down and be­gin graz­ing nor­mally.

She had phoned Mr Has­san’s mother, who she be­lieved was the le­gal owner of the prop­erty, ask­ing that a stop be put to the pro­ceed­ings, and was told that she had been in­formed this was go­ing to hap­pen. Then she hung up.

Un­in­vited spec­ta­tors had parked in their drive­way, and when Mrs Drag­ice­vich I asked them to leave they re­fused, and she was sworn at.

“It was a hor­ri­ble, hor­ri­ble day, so stress­ful.

“Now I see it be­ing pro­moted on pub­lic me­dia and gain­ing mo­men­tum and sup­port,” she added.

Her hus­band Paul was still suf­fer­ing the ef­fects of ex­po­sure to the smoke for the three hours he spent try­ing to calm the cat­tle, and the thought that such events could be on­go­ing was de­press­ing, she said.

The coun­cils, po­lice and NZTA were all look­ing at the is­sue, but so­cial me­dia was at­tract­ing “huge” sup­port for the pad, which wor­ried her. *** Mr Has­san was in­vited to com­ment but had not done so at edi­tion time yes­ter­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.