A good save for Kaikohe

The Northland Age - - Front Page -

A house in Omapere Rd, Kaikohe, suf­fered sig­nif­i­cant dam­age by fire on Satur­day, but it could have been much worse ac­cord­ing to Kaikohe’s Chief Fire Of­fi­cer, Bill Hutchin­son.

“The crew got there pretty quickly,” he said, and with no time to spare. By that stage the flames had made their way into the ceil­ing space, but they didn’t get any fur­ther.

“Luck­ily a door be­tween the fire and the in­te­rior was closed, so that slowed it down,” he added.

Mr Hutchin­son sus­pected that the blaze was the re­sult of an elec­tri­cal fault.

Neigh­bours had re­ported hear­ing and/or see­ing the meter box, within a porch area, ex­plode and catch fire.

Mr Hutchin­son es­ti­mated that the house had suf­fered about 20 per cent dam­age.

No one was in­jured, the two oc­cu­pants es­cap­ing un­harmed.

PIC­TURE / DEB­BIE BEA­DLE

Fire­fighter Lara Hast­ings at work at Satur­day’s house fire.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.