The Northland Age - - Local News -

They didn’t find the man they were look­ing for, but the po­lice of­fi­cers who peered in­side a res­i­den­tial garage in Kaitaia last week went home with a bet­ter work story any­way.

Ev­ery­thing be­gan to go pear­shaped when a dog, de­scribed by one of their more cred­i­ble col­leagues as a slightly pug­na­cious chi­huahua, or some­thing sim­i­lar, made it clear that they weren’t wel­come. Of­fi­cer A back-ped­alled, into Of­fi­cer B, who, to quote an of­fi­cial source, fell grace­fully to the con­crete floor.

All might still have been well, ex­cept for the fact that one of his feet was stuck un­der some­thing heavy, so, as he com­pleted his pirou­ette (de­gree of dif­fi­culty 2.4) his lower leg stayed where it was. Even when his an­kle snapped clean in half.

With what all ac­cepted was quite a sore leg, Of­fi­cer B was de­liv­ered to Kaitaia Hos­pi­tal in the back of a pa­trol car, the only po­si­tion that af­forded him any­thing less than un­bear­able pain be­ing with his hands and knees on the seat and his pos­te­rior pok­ing out the win­dow. No one recog­nised him.

He will ap­par­ently be off duty for some time, pos­si­bly await­ing a leg trans­plant, but will be pleased to know that the air of sym­pa­thy at the po­lice sta­tion is al­most pal­pa­ble. Well, not really. A 12m ferro-ce­ment yacht fell vic­tim to Thurs­day’s high winds, break­ing her moor­ing and be­ing driven on to the Rus­sell boat ramp, where she was pounded by waves.

The con­di­tions pre­vented the North­land Re­gional Coun­cil ves­sel from at­tempt­ing a tow, and ef­forts us­ing ve­hi­cles to pull the 14-tonne yacht along the shin­gle beach, away from the boat ramp, were also un­suc­cess­ful.

She was se­cured, a tyre fen­der was placed un­der the bow, and the owner was left to or­gan­ise a res­cue.

The hull of the unin­sured ves­sel did not ap­pear to have been holed dur­ing the ground­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.