And then there was one . . .

The Northland Age - - Front Page -

Far North District Coun­cil plans to stage seven re­mem­brance ser­vices for vic­tims of the March 15 Christchur­ch mosque shoot­ings on Fri­day changed on Thurs­day, af­ter po­lice ad­vised that they would be able to pro­vide armed of­fi­cers for just one venue, Kerik­eri’s Turner Cen­tre.

The coun­cil had ini­tially planned to stage ser­vices at 17 lo­ca­tions around the district, in re­sponse to in­struc­tions from the Depart­ment of In­ter­nal Af­fairs, with live screen­ing of the na­tional ser­vice in Christchur­ch at each.

It was also in­structed to buy 52 roses and 52 can­dles, one for each of those who died, and for the two women who had re­port­edly suf­fered fa­tal heart at­tacks since March 15, for each venue.

Mayor John Carter said it had been de­cided to re­duce the num­ber of ser­vices af­ter dis­cus­sions with the po­lice on Thurs­day.

He said yes­ter­day that the 312 roses that had not been needed had been given to rest homes “and var­i­ous other places,” but he was un­sure what would be done with the can­dles.

“Hope­fully we will be able to re­turn them and get a re­fund,” he added.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.