The Press

Tech edge closer to title


Cashmere Technical have taken a giant step towards an unpreceden­ted five straight Mainland Premier League crowns.

Tech toppled Ferrymead Bays 5-2 in a top of the table clash at a wet English Park on Saturday to edge closer to another title.

They control their own destiny in the title race, opening up a five point lead over Bays, who have a game in hand against Nelson Suburbs.

Tech have four MPL matches to play, but it would take a major meltdown from them to hand Bays the silverware.

After a slow start to the season, Tech have been a class above since their Canterbury United national league players filtered back into the line-up, not losing in the league since April 14 (round five).

Tech effectivel­y wrapped up the result at halftime against Bays, scoring three first half goals.

Schoolboy winger Lyle Matthysen delivered another statement to the Canterbury United coaches, scoring twice to take his MPL tally for the season to 11.

Matthysen hit the post with an earlier opportunit­y, but couldn’t be denied in the 35th minute when he hammered his shot past goalkeeper Adam Highfield from just inside the box.

Tech quickly took control of the contest, netting twice in the closing minutes of the first half through midfielder­s Cory Mitchell and Gary Ogilvie to head into halftime high on confidence.

It goes worse for Bays after the break with Matthysen adding his second with another well taken finish six minutes into the second half. A fifth from striker Michael White, his 20th of the campaign, had Tech rolling at 5-0 on the hour mark. Bays added consolatio­n goals through Chris Anderson and Fraser Angus in the last 12 minutes, but it was far too little, too late.

In the earlier games at English Park, FC Twenty11 turned it on in front of goal, thumping struggling Universiti­es 5-0.

American midfielder Sean Morris opened the scoring in the 15th minute for his seventh league goal of the season. Joel Peterson netted two minutes later as FC Twenty took a 2-0 advantage into halftime.

Second half strikes from Leon Vannoort, Seth Clark and Sam Peterson capped off a memorable win for FC Twenty, who sit fifth on the ladder.

Nomads United achieved one of their best wins of the season, beating Coastal Spirit 3-1.

Coastal led 1-0 at the break through a header from defender Louie Bush, but they were outplayed in the second half. Nomads levelled just after halftime via an own goal. They went 2-1 up after goalkeeper Angus Hooper, deputising for the suspended Eddie Ashton, palmed a free kick from Meysum Shafahi into his own net.

A late strike from Luke Petrie ensured the sixth league win of the winter for Nomads, who were promoted this season.

Nelson Suburbs pounced on Coastal’s slip up, eventually finishing off a determined Western side 2-1 at Saxton Field on Sunday to jump back into third place.

Western took a shock lead with left-winger Dorian Gault punishing Suburbs for an errant pass across goal but second half goals to Ben Wright and Matt TodSmith ensured the home team would collect all three points.

The women’s MPL matches were postponed because of Saturday’s adverse weather conditions.

● Meanwhile, all premier Canterbury rugby league and hockey was also cancelled.

 ??  ?? Lyle Matthysen
Lyle Matthysen

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand