Two in­jured at Ara

The Press - - News -

Two peo­ple suf­fered mi­nor in­juries in an in­ci­dent at a Christchurch polytech­nic orig­i­nally thought to in­volve an ex­plod­ing gas bot­tle. Emer­gency ser­vices were called to Ara In­sti­tute of Can­ter­bury about 3.30pm yes­ter­day. Fire and Emer­gency NZ spokesman An­drew Nor­ris said they were orig­i­nally alerted when the sprin­kler sys­tem was ac­ti­vated.

They were then called to re­ports a gas bot­tle had ex­ploded. How­ever, Ara com­mu­ni­ca­tions ad­viser Breeze Robert­son said the in­ci­dent was caused by con­trac­tors who in­ad­ver­tently ig­nited vapours gen­er­ated from a con­tact ad­he­sive.A St John said two pa­tients were ‘‘as­sessed and treated at the scene’’.

One am­bu­lance was sent, as well as a St John man­ager’s ve­hi­cle.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.