Waihi makes third round of Cup


Waihi ad­vanced to the third round of the Waikato Cup with a con­vinc­ing 3-0 win over Te Aroha Co­bras at Boyd Park last Satur­day af­ter­noon.

Waihi had the ma­jor­ity of pos­ses­sion through­out the first half but found it dif­fi­cult to play a de­ci­sive ball through Te Aroha’s de­fence in the muddy con­di­tions. It took a mo­ment of bril­liance from cap­tain James Heffield late in the half to give Waihi the lead. Heffield re­ceived a well-weighted pass from cen­tral midfield part­ner Ryu­sei Nishada be­fore turn­ing and hit­ting an im­pres­sive 25-yard shot that sailed over Te Aroha’s keeper and into the goal.

Dur­ing the half time break Waihi spoke about the need to step up in­ten­sity. This paid div­i­dends in the sec­ond half as Waihi be­gan to win the 50-50 balls and took con­trol of the match. Aaron Parks scored Waihi’s sec­ond goal when he pounced on a de­flected shot to knock the ball home from close range on the 60-minute mark. Richard James added Waihi’s third goal shortly af­ter with a well-timed run that saw him latch onto an in­ci­sive through­ball from Nishida be­fore round­ing the keeper and fir­ing the ball into the back of the net. Te Aroha rarely threat­ened Waihi’s goal through­out the half, thanks to a solid per­for­mance from de­fend­ers Neil Hope, Ben Grant, Alan Bur­foot, and man of the match David Grant.

The win keeps Waihi’s Waikato Cup hopes alive as it looks to go one bet­ter than its out­stand­ing win­ning Waikato Plate run last year.

Next week, Waihi host Hamil­ton Wan­der­ers Clas­sics, hope­fully back on their home pitch at Mor­gan Park.

The Coun­cil have rolled, fer­tilised and run a cou­ple of aer­at­ing ma­chines over the pitch, added a cov­er­ing of soil and seed where needed, and be­lieve the pitch will be playable for the first time this sea­son. Kick off is sched­uled for 2.45pm. The Col­lege teams had mixed re­sults in their last round of qual­i­fy­ing matches. The 1st XI boys had a good 4-1 win over the HBHS Year11 A team, with goals from Jasper Ol­son, Aod­han Balemi(2), and Swiss ex­change stu­dent Nils. The Colts had a good 3-0 win over St Peter’s Cam­bridge. They bounced back from a big loss last week­end, strength­ened by play­ers who were ei­ther in­jured, sick or away last week. Un­for­tu­nately, Bai­ley Church suf­fered a bro­ken col­lar bone while hav­ing an out­stand­ing game. Goals were scored by Mason Mouat (2) and Kon­nah Sas. The Girls 1st XI lost 3-1 to HGHS’s 2nd XI- a promis­ing re­sult given the size and num­ber of teams Girls High field each week.

Dur­ing the week, the Col­lege teams will be placed in an ap­pro­pri­ate grade, and their com­pe­ti­tions proper will start next Satur­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.