Indian spinner reported for action
India batsman and part-time off spinner Ambati Rayudu has been reported for a suspect bowling action during his side’s first oneday international against Australia last Saturday in Sydney.
Rayudu’s action was cited by match officials after he bowled two overs for figures of 0-13 during the series opener, which Australia won by 34 runs.
India’s No 4 was later trapped lbw by Australian quick Jhye Richardson for a second-ball duck.
The 33-year-old must undergo testing within 14 days but is permitted to continue bowling until the results of the tests are known, the International Cricket Council said.
Rayudu has been included in India’s ODI squad to tour New Zealand this month after their series in Australia.
Should he fail the independent biomechanical testing, Rayudu faces being suspended from bowling in international cricket until he can correct his action.
Rayudu, who retired from first-class cricket late last year to focus on limited-overs cricket, has played 46 ODIs and six T20 internationals for India.
Meanwhile, Shubman Gill couldn’t wait to tell his parents when a flood of late-night messages confirmed he was bound for New Zealand with India’s cricket team.
The 19-year-old still lives at home, so all he had to do was knock on the door in the next room.
"I woke my father up to tell him. He was up as soon as I told him," Gill said.
Gill and allrounder Vijay Shankar were summoned as the replacements for KL Rahul and Hardik Pandya who were suspended pending an investigation into comments they made about women on a TV show which had been condemned as sexist and inappropriate.
Shankar joins the Indian team in Adelaide for today’s second ODI against Australia, while Gill won’t link up with Virat Kohli’s side until they hit New Zealand on Saturday.
Ambati Rayudu has been reported for a suspect bowling action.