Kiwi Build chief gone after five months
KiwiBuild chief executive Stephen Barclay has left the organisation after only five months in the job.
Barclay was appointed in May to steer the Government’s flagship scheme to build 100,000 homes in a decade. The Weekend Herald understands he left his position at the start of November.
KiwiBuild has come under fire in recent months with some commentators labelling it “socialism for the rich”. The National Party has also seized upon what it says is a lack of demand for the properties, 50,000 of which are planned for Auckland.
Barclay could not be reached for comment and neither KiwiBuild’s spokeswoman nor a spokeswoman for Housing and Urban Development Minister Phil Twyford would answer questions about his departure.
A spokesman for the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development said Barclay was “currently away from the office”. Asked when he would be back, the spokesman said: “The ministry doesn’t comment on matters relating to individuals.”
KiwiBuild’s “affordable” homes plan is designed to increase home ownership, but Twyford came under fire in October after admitting the programme was not for low-income families.
That came after it emerged buyers of the first completed homes included a newly graduating doctor and marketing manager.
Barclay started in the role on May 28, splitting his time between Auckland and Wellington. He was previously at the Ministry of Health and before that CEO of the San Francisco America’s Cup Events Authority.