Settler’s tracks were first roads
Four principles were used to name early streets in growing settlement
to give his name to Albert Cres. It was intended the crescent would run in a semi-circle from Campbell St to Niblett St and parallel to Dublin St but that particular roadway was never formed.
Purnell St was named after James Purnell, the town clerk from 1888 to 1905. It was originally named Asylum Rd.