Roast Chicken with Lemon Herb Stuffing
SERVES 6 PREPARATION 20 MINUTES COOKING 1 HOUR, 15 MINUTES
2 cups fresh breadcrumbs ¾ cup chopped mixed herbs, such as thyme, parsley, chives grated rind of 1 halved lemon,
plus 2 teaspoons juice 2 eggs, lightly beaten 2kg whole chicken, trimmed,
washed, dried 40g butter, at room
2 garlic cloves, crushed 1 tablespoon olive oil 1kg small carrots, halved
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. 2. Combine breadcrumbs, herbs, lemon rind, juice and eggs in a bowl. Season and mix well. Push half into the cavity of the chicken, securing legs together with string.
3. Roll tablespoons of remaining stuffing into balls and arrange on a tray lined with baking paper.
4. Combine butter and garlic. Carefully separate skin from breast meat of chicken fillets. Push garlic butter under skin. Rub oil over top of skin, then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Place chicken on a rack in a baking dish. Roast for 1¼ hours, adding carrot, lemon halves and stuffing balls after 30 minutes, or until chicken juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into thickest joint.
6. Serve chicken with stuffing, carrots and lemon halves.