Marriott breach potentially exposed data of 500m guests
MARRIOTT INTERNA TIONAL HAS AD MITTED that the personal details of up to 500 mIllion guests had potentially been compromised since 2014, in what may be one of the biggest data breaches of its kind.
The world’s largest hotel group said its Starwood Hotels & Resorts guest reservation database had been accessed unlawfully. Payment card information held on the database could also have been taken, Marriott said.
Financial Times said shares in Marriott fell 7 per cent to $121.84 in pre-market trading in the US on Friday. Marriott said that for about 327 million people, the exposed information included some combination of their name, mailing address, phone number, passport number, Starwood Preferred guest reservation number, date of birth and other identifying information.
Marriott said that while payment card numbers and expiration dates held on its database were encrypted, components needed to decrypt this information may have been “taken” in the attack. “We fell short of what our guests deserve and what we expect of ourselves,” said Arne Sorenson, Marriott’s chief executive.