TODAY IN HISTORY
December 22, 1851
– India’s first freight train is operated in Roorkee, India. December 22, 1885
– Itō Hirobumi, a samurai, became the first Prime Minister of Japan. December 22, 1891
– Asteroid 323 Brucia becomes the first asteroid discovered using photography.
December 22, 1942
– World War II: Adolf Hitler signs the order to develop the V-2 rocket as a weapon. December 22, 1965
– In the United Kingdom, a 70 mph speed limit is applied to all rural roads including motorways for the first time.