today in history
January 4, 1847
- Samuel Colt sells his first revolver, Captain Samuel Walker of the Texas Rangers placed an order for 1000 revolver pistols after having witnessed their devastating effect
January 4, 1912
- The Scout Association is incorporated throughout the British Commonwealth by Royal Charter.
January 4, 1958
– Sputnik 1, the first artificial Earth satellite, launched by the Soviet Union in 1957, falls to Earth from orbit.
January 4, 1959
– Luna 1 becomes the first spacecraft to reach the vicinity of the Moon.
January 4, 1965
- T. S. Eliot American/english publisher, playwright, critic, Nobel Prize laureate died on this day
January 4, 1972
- Rose Heilbron becomes the first female judge to sit at the Old Bailey in London.
January 4, 2007
– The 110th United States Congress convenes, electing Nancy Pelosi as the first female Speaker of the House in U.S. history