Enugu decontaminates schools ahead resumption
The Enugu State Government has flagged off decontamination and fumigation of 297 secondary schools in the state in preparation for the resumption of academic activities.
Our correspondent reports that the comprehensive exercise is being conducted by the State Fire Service, led by its Chief Fire Officer, Engr. Okwudiri Ohaa. Daily Trust Saturday recalls that the state government on 24th March, closed all educational institutions in the state, as part of proactive measures to contain the spread of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19).
The state government directed all public officers/civil servants to work from home till further notice, except those on essential services, and has been paying them salaries, including the teachers, as at when due, since then.
However, briefing newsmen after the flag off, which took place at Queen’s School Enugu on Friday, the Commissioner for Education, Prof. Uche Eze, who monitored the exercise alongside the Chairman of Post Primary
Schools Management Board (PPSMB) Nestor Ezeme, said that it was Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s directives that “all our schools, classrooms, dormitories and school premises should be decontaminated and fumigated in preparation for resumption.”
Prof. Eze said: “this is to ensure that when the students and teachers are back to schools, they will be safe to learn in a conducive environment”, adding that the exercise will take place in all the schools and will be completed on or before the evening of Monday, August 3, 2020.