McIlroy turns down spot in Saudi tournament
Los Angeles, US - Rory McIlroy confirmed on Monday he had turned down the chance to play in next month's European Tour event in Saudi Arabia despite reportedly being offered a multi-million-dollar appearance fee.
McIlroy told the Golf Channel in an interview he had no interest in playing the Saudi International tournament in late January. "It's just not something that would excite me," the Northern Irishman said, echoing comments from
Tiger Woods who last week confirmed he had also rejected an approach to play in the event.
The tournament has attracted a slew of talent including world No 1 Brooks Koepka, former US Open champion Dustin Johnson and Phil Mickelson.
Golfers participating in the inaugural event last year faced criticism, with the tournament taking place just months after the killing of US-based Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in October 2018.
Mickelson was criticised last week after announcing his decision to play in the tournament. McIlroy, who was reportedly offered $2.5mn to play in the tournament, hinted in his Golf Channel interview that 'morality' had influenced his decision.