Liverpool’s Mane named African Player of the Year
Hurghada, Egypt - Liverpool star Sadio Mane was crowned on Tuesday as Africa's 2019 Player of the Year for the first time at an awards gala in Egypt.
The 27 year old Senegalese striker was up against his Liverpool teammate Mohamed Salah, the Egyptian who won the award the last two years, and Algerian Riyad Mahrez of Manchester City.
"I am really happy and at the same time I am really proud to win this award," said Mane at the ceremony organised by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) in the Egyptian Red Sea city of Hurghada. "It's a big day for me."
Mane became the second star from Senegal to be named African Player of the Year after El Hadji Diouf, who was the continent's best player in 2001 and 2002. He scored 34 goals and produced 12 assists in 61 appearances in 2019, according to CAF statistics.
Salah's tally stood at 26 goals and 10 assists in 55 matches while Mahrez accounted for 14 goals and 18 assists in 48 games last year. The key Senegalese player shared the 2018-19 English Premier League Golden Boot award with Salah and Arsenal's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang from Gabon.
"I would love to thank all the Senegalese people. They have been for me all the time, they push me," said Mane, extending sincere gratitude to people from his village Bambali.
Africa’s best in 2019
player Juan Sebastian Veron and Brazil's Cafu attended Tuesday's event.
Some of Africa's former star players including Senegal's Diouf, Egypt's Ahmed Hassan and Algeria's Rabah Madjer were also at the ceremony.
Neither Salah nor Mahrez, who was playing for Manchester City, were present on Tuesday. Mane, Salah and Mahrez played for their respective countries in the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations. Algeria claimed the title following a 1-0 victory over Senegal in Cairo.
At the ceremony, other men’s awards went to Algerian coach Djamel Belmadi, Algerian Youcef Belaili for African Interclubs Player of the Year and Algeria's national team. The award for the youth category was given to Morocco's Achraf Hakimi of Borussia Dortmund. Female awardees included Nigerian Asisat Oshoala, who won the African Women's Player of the Year prize for the fourth time.
South African national team boss Desiree Ellis was also voted top coach for the second consecutive year. Cameroon's women's team was selected as the continent's best after reaching the last-16 of the World Cup.
The Egyptian Football Association also won the Federation of the Year award.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino as well as former Argentinian
London, UK - The Football Association (FA) says it will review the betting element of FA Cup broadcast rights related to ties being viewed on a gambling website.
Bookmaker Bet365 showed 23 third-round matches last weekend as part of its deal with the FA, which was signed in January 2017.
The matches were only available to watch if the customer had placed a bet or deposited an account with US$6.5 in the 24 hours before kick-off.
The FA announced in July 2017 that it had cut all ties with gambling firms, ending a deal with Ladbrokes, and has suggested it will review future broadcast rights.
"We will review this element of the media rights sales process ahead of tendering rights to the new cycle from the 2024-25 season onwards," said an FA spokesman.
"Leagues and clubs continue to govern their own relationships with gambling companies.
"The FA agreed a media rights deal with IMG in early 2017, part of which permits them to sell the right to show live footage or clips of FA Cup matches to bookmakers. Bet365 acquired these rights from IMG to use from the start of the 2018-19 season.
"This deal was agreed before we made a clear decision on the FA's relationship with gambling companies in June 2017 when we ended our partnership with Ladbrokes."
All third-round matches last weekend were delayed by one minute to publicise the FA's Heads Up mental health campaign, backed by FA President Prince William. The Prince has no oversight or involvement in the commercial aspects of the FA.
In a statement to Britain's Press Association, Duncan Selbie, chief executive of Public Health England (PHE), said: "PHE is currently reviewing the evidence about the health harms of gambling, which we believe are wide-ranging.
"Our report will provide sports governing bodies a fresh opportunity to review their relationships with gambling."