Hong Kong shuts most China crossings
Hong Kong, China - Hong Kong announced it was closing all but two land crossings with the Chinese mainland on Monday to slow the spread of the deadly new coronavirus as medics staged strikes calling for the border to be completely sealed.
The semi-autonomous financial centre has 15 confirmed cases of the disease, most brought from the mainland.
City leader Carrie Lam said all land crossings would be closed at midnight except for two bridges, the first connecting Hong Kong to Shenzhen and the second linking it with Zhuhai and casino hub Macau.
The city’s airport would remain open to mainlanders, although there are already restrictions on people from central Hubei province where the epidemic began.
Lam said the latest closures - which came after four crossings were shuttered last week - would reduce the number of Chinese mainlanders and allow officials to focus resources on two land entry points as well as the airport.
This file photo shows a section of the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge in Hong Kong on October 22, 2018