Muscat Daily

Accident at Iran nuclear facility, no casualties: Fars

-

Tehran, Iran - An ‘accident’ took place at an Iranian nuclear facility on Sunday but caused no casualties or damage, the Fars news agency reported, citing the spokesman of Iran’s nuclear agency.

Behrouz Kamalvandi said there had been ‘an accident in part of the electrical circuit of the (uranium) enrichment facility’ at the Natanz complex, a day after Iran announced it had started up advanced uranium enrichment centrifuge­s at the site in a breach of its undertakin­gs under a troubled 2015 nuclear deal.

There were ‘no casualties nor pollution’, he said, adding that ‘the causes of the accident are under investigat­ion and more details will be released later’.

The accident follows an explosion at a factory for advanced centrifuge­s at Natanz last July.

The authoritie­s blamed that incident on ‘sabotage’ by ‘terrorists’, but have not released the results of their investigat­ion into it.

President Hassan Rouhani on Sunday inaugurate­d a replacemen­t factory at Natanz as well as a cascade of centrifuge­s for enriching uranium and two test cascades, in a ceremony broadcast by state television.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Oman