Security beefed up for Australian Open
MELBOURNE: Extra security measures and patrols will be in place in time for the first ball to be served at the Australian Open on Monday.
It's the first time Protective Services Officers will be stationed on Melbourne trams as part of extra security measures for the Australian Open.
More than 20 PSOs will get on board routes to and from the tennis from 7am until midnight each day of the tournament.
“This is about making sure we've got PSOs giving reassurance, able to disrupt any crimes, stop anti-social behaviour and really make sure that everyone gets an opportunity to enjoy this fantastic time in Melbourne,” Police Minister Lisa Neville said today.
Assistant Commissioner Deb Abbott reinforced that PSOs have arrest powers to deal with any out-of-order behaviour.
“They can arrest people and they can also then call up additional police to support themand to make sure that we deal with any criminal offences and antisocial offences,” Abbott said.
“It's a big surge in resources around, not only the event itself but in the CBD and in Richmond,” Abbott said.
Tennis-goers are being encouraged to get on board public transport with road closures, delays and limited parking expected to cause delays around Melbourne Park from Monday.
Last year a prominent physician from Pennsylvania was knocked unconscious during a serious assault when he was walking back to his hotel from Melbourne Park with his son.