The Pet Express Dog & Cat Expo 2016
Five years and counting! The recently concluded Pet Express Dog & Cat Expo held at the SMX Convention Center at SM Mall of Asia continued to give canine and feline fur parents a venue to share their pet-raising experiences, socialize, discover new favorite products, and meet people who share their passion for pets and anything pet-related.
Organizations for both cats and dogs participated with the aim of showcasing their particular breed to the general public, and to help educate people about the particular characteristics of those dogs and cats.
Cat and dog owners, with and without their pets, enjoyed a wide variety of activities and large discounts plus special promotions on pet care products. Pet owners saw the latest products and foodstuff for pets. Opening the event was a pet blessing. Guests got to enjoy dog food eating contests sponsored by Value Meal, and a dog and cat fashion show.
Education and fun came together in a showcase of pets from around the world featuring dog breeds like the Alaskan Malamute, Jack Russell Terrier, and the Chihuahua; the audience learned the importance of learning about a chosen breed and how it fits into their lifestyles before acquiring a puppy. There was also much excitement over a dog and cat fashion show and the treasure hunt by Sergeant’s and Vitakraft, and a canine search and rescue demonstration by the Gerald Anderson Foundation got many dog lovers interested in options for their pets.
Fur parents also got to learn more about caring for their pets, with talks on a wide range of topics:
• Pet health nutrition, (focusing on diet choice) by Royal Canin;
• “Why the Aspin is In” by the Philippine Animal Welfare Society’s Aspin (Asong Pinoy) Club, discussing the plight of abandoned and neglected dogs;
• “Caring for Rescued Cats” by Cat Care Philippines and the Philippine Animal Rehabilitation Team (PART), which helped pet lovers deal with the common dilemma of what to do when one takes pity on an abandoned cat and decides to care for it;
• “Universal Language of Dogs” by Ezydog, which corrected misimpressions about how to train and command dogs, including our insistence on them understanding us instead of the reverse;
• “Pet Photography: The Art of Capturing Cuteness on the Go” by Gia Lara, who explained that we should be patient when waiting to capture the perfect picture of our pets—it’s going to be worth it! Focus on their eyes, and stop taking photos once they get stressed out were her two top tips;
• “Responsible Pet Ownership” by CARA, which stressed how all pets are a commitment for their lifetimes, and that this commitment is not to be made lightly because we owe it to our pets never to neglect or abandon them; and
• “Pet Etiquette in Pet-friendly Residences” by Golf Hill Gardens. New products such as Purr Purree Liquid Snack for Cats and Scrubby Deep Clean by Scrubby Dog Soap were also launched, alongside the Care Paw-kage for CARA (Compassion and Responsibility for Animals) Campaign by Pet Express and Metromart.com, which offers the convenience of having pet groceries delivered straight to pet owners’ homes while giving the option to donate to CARA while shopping.