These are the common varieties:
1. Cyrtocara moorii popularly called Blue Moorii, Blue Dolphin Cichlid, Malawi Blue Dolphin Cichlid, or Humpheads. I am not a fan of Haps but one of may favorite African Cichlids is this variety.
2. Sciaenochromis fryeri called Electric Blue, Hap Ahli, or Blue Ahli.
3. Haplochromis Compressiceps, Compressiceps, Eyebiter - quite peculiar looking fish. Sometimes, I can see the image of a horse image with this species.
4. Venustus Nimbochromis - known as Venustus or Giraffe Cichlid. This is a big fish that can grow to a length of ten inches. It has a yellow body covered with splotches of brown. Males develop an attractive blue face and head as they mature.
5. Nimbochromis livingstonii - commonly called Livingstonii. Like the Venustus, it can also reach close to ten inches.
6. Copadichromis borleyi dubbed the Red Fin Kadango, Redfin Hap, or Goldfin Hap. Their average size is around 6 inches.
Haplochromis Cichlids, more popularly known as Haps, are best appreciated for their colors after reaching adulthood. Females normally have a dull color.