Soldier hurt in ambush

Bandera (Mindanao) - - Front Page -

A SOLDIER was injured as New People's Army members ambushed government troops in Iloilo and Negros Oriental on Monday, authorities reported.

One Cpl. Aldrin Cablas was brought to a hospital in Calinog via helicopter after getting hurt in the first attack, according to a report from the Western Visayas

PRES. QUIRINO, Sultan Kudarat — Two of the 20 heavily armed communist rebels, who torched eight construction tools in Kalamansig, Sultan Kudarat, have surrendered to the military on Sunday night.

The two New Peoples’ Army (NPA) members first surrendered in Senator Ninoy Aquino town also in Sultan Kudarat, and were subsequently brought to the headquarters of the 33rd Infantry Battalion (IB) here.

During flag raising ceremonies, 33rd IB chief Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc turned over “Ka Glen,” 55, and “Ka Jongie,” 35, who both claimed to belong to Platoon My Phone of Guerilla Front 73, to Lt. Col. Jorge Garcia, commander of the 2nd Marine Battalion Landing Team (MBLT-2), who has jurisdiction over Barangay Hinalaan where the torching of construction equipment occurred

Cabunoc told the INQUIRER that the two admitted they participated in the burning of Janmerc Construction’s equipment on January 7 after the firm allegedly rejected the rebels’ demand for revolutionary tax payment.

The surrenderers turned over two 9 mm M11 Ingram Submachine pistols to the military and vowed to stand as witnesses against their companions in the arson case.

“They will not be charged for their involvement in the burning since they turned state witnesses against the rebels,” Cabunoc said.

“You must take part in addressing the problems that haunt your tribal communities,” Cabunoc also said.

“Resist the intrusion of the deceptive propaganda of the communists by actively participating in peace dialogues and by supporting the implementation of development projects,” he added in a statement.

Ka Jongie said they both realized the futility of their cause.

“We were made to believe that the communists can help us claim back our ancestral lands,” Ka Jongie said. “Our involvement in the communist movement had brought more suffering to us and our tribe.”

Ka Glen said they decided to surrender after learning their comrades who surrendered last year are now living peacefully and have a source of livelihood provided for by the government.

Ka Glen and Ka Jongie belong to Manobo Dulangan tribe.

Garcia, meanwhile, said the Marines will enroll Ka Glen and Ka Jongie to the Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program (ECLIP) so they can receive social benefits.

Maj. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana, the commander of the Army’s 6th Infantry (Kampilan) Division, lauded the Army and Marines for convincing the two to surrender.

Sobejana directed them to “ensure that these misguided Lumads will be provided with appropriate support by their local chief executives as they reunite with their families.”

Since May 2017, the 33rd “Makabayan” had facilitated the surrender of 205 members of communist rebels in Sultan Kudarat through diplomacy and by winning the hearts of the local populace that provided them information about the communist movement.

Newspapers in Tagalog

Newspapers from Philippines

© PressReader. All rights reserved.