These are the concept cars of the watch world: mindnumbing, often beautiful, and sometimes WTF? pieces made in such limited numbers (1,2, 3) that you’ll never see them in a shop window. This rarefied category pushes watchmakers to ever greater heights of precision, innovation, and aestheticism—see: Hublot’s Big Bang Unico Sapphire, whose entire case is made from polished sapphire crystal. Yes, this is a prime example of boys and their prohibitively expensive toys. But from these unicorns descend the watches we may one day slap on our wrists.
01. Big Bang Unico Sapphire by Hublot; hublot.com 02. Yellow-gold Oyster Perpetual Cosmograph Daytona by Rolex; rolex.com
03. Titanium-and-aluminum BR-X1 Hyperstellar chronograph by Bell & Ross
04. Red-gold UR-110 by Urwerk; urwerk.com 05. White-gold Emperador Coussin XL 700P by Piaget; piaget.com
06. White-gold Tradition Independent chronograph by Breguet; breguet.com
07. Red-gold-and-titanium RM 11-03 by Richard Mille; richardmille.com 01 02
05 03 04 06 07