Top Pinoy shooters to hold meet and greet
MEMBERS of the Philippine team, who won medals during the 2017 IPSC Handgun World Shoot XVIII in Châteauroux, France last August, will hold a meet-and-greet session with gun enthusiasts at the 25th Defense & Sporting Arms Show ( DSAS) which opens on November 16 at the SM Megamall in Mandaluyong City.
World shooting champ Jethro Dionisio, president of the Association of Firearms and Ammunition Dealers (AFAD), said some of the Pinoy top guns would share their memorable experience during the prestigious world shoot at the gun show exhibit venue at 1p.m. on November 18.
Among those who bagged medals were Dionisio, Jeufro Emil Lejano, Edward Rivera, Kahlil Adrian Viray, Rolly Nathaniel Tecson, Israelito Pible, Joseph Bernabe Jr., John Paul Santiaguel, Lenard Lopez, William Magalong, Benjamin Belarmino, Bernardo Mari Alejandro, Isrealito Pible, and Grace Tamayo.
The Philippine team finished sixth overall during the six- day competition.
The ribbon cutting ceremonies of the 25th DSAS Part 2 will be at 10a.m. on November 17, the second day of the gun show. The DSAS Part 2 will be open to gun enthusiasts until November 20, Dionisio said.
The AFAD will honor the Philippine shooting team during the opening rites. The association has been supportive of Filipino shooters competing in foreign and local tourneys.
The DSAS Part 2 has also lined up several other free seminars for gun enthusiasts among them Competitive Shooting versus Combat Shooting by Rosey Labayog and Gun Safety and Responsible Ownership by Ernie Claudio.
The event will also feature live demonstrations of taekwondo and karatedo by instructors from the Philippine National Police (PNP).
Armed Forces of the Philippines, which are AFAD’s partners in promoting responsible gun ownership, will also grace the opening ceremonies on November 16.
For online registration, www.afad.ph/dsas. visit
South African prosecutors on Friday will argue for Oscar Pistorius to be given a longer jail sentence, saying the six years he is serving for killing his girlfriend is “shockingly low.”
The National Prosecution Authority will present its case to a one-day hearing at the Supreme Court of Appeal in Bloemfontein. Judges are expected to hand down their ruling at a later date.
The Paralympic athlete shot dead Reeva Steenkamp in the early hours of Valentine’s Day in 2013, the door of his bedroom toilet —an act, he says, that came from mistaking her for a burglar.
Pistorius was originally convicted of culpable homicide—the equivalent of manslaughter—in 2014, but the appeal court in Bloemfontein upgraded his conviction to murder in 2015.
Pistorius, 30, who is being held at the Atteridgeville Correctional Centre prison in Pretoria, will not be in court on Friday.
“We believe the sentence is shockingly low,” NPA spokesman Luvuyo Mfaku told AFP.
“The court has discretion to deviate from the minimum sentence for murder of 15 years, after considering the circumstances, but we say that you cannot go so far below.
“We cannot allow a situation where we create a precedent for a person sentenced for murder. It is inappropriate if you look at the gravity of the offence.”
Mfaku denied that the NPA was pursuing Pistorius due to his fame.
“It is not personal, we are addressing a principle here, we would have done this for anyone,” he said.
‘Pay for his crime’
A spokesman for the Pistorius family was not immediately available to comment, but his lawyers have previously said they accepted his current sentence.
At his sentencing last year, High Court judge Thokozile Masipa listed mitigating factors, including the athlete’s claim he believed he was shooting an intruder.
“He cannot be at peace. I’m of the view that a long term of im- prisonment will not serve justice,” Masipa said.
But Steenkamp’s father Barry told the court that he wanted Pistorius to “pay for his crime”.
Members of the ruling African National Congress (ANC) women’s league, who attended many court sessions, have criticised the sentence for failing to send a message against domestic violence in South Africa.
The year before he killed Steen double- amputee to race at the Olympics when he competed at the London 2012 games.
Previously a role model for disabled people worldwide, he was released from jail in 2015 after for culpable homicide.
He returned behind bars his conviction for murder.
Pistorius, who pleaded not guilty at his trial in 2014, has always denied the accusation that he killed Steenkamp while in a rage.
He has insisted that he was trying to protect her.
In a television interview, he said he believed an intruder was in the house and “instant fear” drove him to grab his gun and walk on his stumps towards the bathroom.
“All of a sudden I hear a noise, at the toilet. I presumed it was the toilet door opening and shots,” he said. after
Tiger Woods JOHANNESBURG: