Philippine Daily Inquirer

Betancourt sues Colombia for $6.8M over hostage ordeal

- Reuters

BOGOTA—Colombian politician Ingrid Betancourt, who spent six years as a rebel hostage before being rescued, has sued the Andean nation over her kidnapping, sparking outrage from the government that freed her.

The suit seeks $6.8million in damages from the state for emotional stress and loss of earnings while she was being held in secret jungle camps by Marxist guerrillas.

But Colombia’s Defense Ministry said on Friday Betancourt had no reason to blame the government for her kidnapping by the Revolution­ary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) while she campaigned for the presidency in 2002.

State security officials had warned her against entering the battle-stricken area in southern Caqueta province where she was taken because it was filled with rebels at the time.

In July 2008, Betancourt’s FARC jailers were duped into handing her and 14 other hostages, including three US antidrug contractor­s, over to Colombian soldiers masqueradi­ng as members of a humanitari­an group that had volunteere­d to fly them by helicopter to a new location.

“The Defense Ministry is surprised and upset by (Betancourt’s suit), all the more due to the effort and zeal with which our public forces planned and executed the rescue,” a ministry statement said.

“Men and women of the armed forces risked their lives while seeking the liberty of the hostages in an operation that Ingrid Betancourt herself called ‘perfect,’” it said.

The rescue was a humiliatin­g blow to the FARC, which has been put on the defensive by a US-backed military campaign aimed at crushing the cocaine-funded insurgency.

Betancourt, a 48-year-old dual FrenchColo­mbian national, was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize after her rescue and was seen briefly as a viable candidate in this year’s presidenti­al vote.

But she has lived in Europe since being freed and the suit is not likely to help her popularity in Colombia.

Vice President Francisco Santos, visibly angry when asked about the suit by local television reporters, said it should be fought “until the end without conciliati­on of any kind.” Last week, Betancourt attended a two-year anniversar­y celebratio­n of the rescue held at the US Embassy in Bogota.

“That’s how far her hypocrisy goes,” a listener who identified himself as Omar said on a call-in radio show. “How could she participat­e in the two-year commemorat­ion when she knew thiswas coming?”

But some local bloggers said shewas right to sue Colombia, as the state is constituti­onally bound to provide security.

Such comments were met with profanityf­illed responses on news blogs harshly critical of Betancourt.

 ?? AFP ?? BETANCOURT
AFP BETANCOURT

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Philippines