NPA: Soldier killed in Hinoba-an attack
THE Armando Sumayang Jr. Command (ASJC) of the New People’s Army (NPA) Southwest Negros Guerrilla Front alleged that a member of the Philippine Army was killed in an attack at an army detachment patrol base in Hinoba-an, Negros Occidental last week.
But Colonel Benedict Arevalo, commanding officer of the 303rd Infantry Brigade based in Murcia town, denied the allegation, claiming there was no fatality on the government side during the attack.
Arevalo said Staff Sergeant Ricky Ignacio of the 12th Infantry Battalion (IB), Echo Company was only wounded.
The rebels harassed the new Civilian Armed Forces Geographical Unit (Cafgu) detachment being constructed at Sitio Bugtong Kahoy in Barangay Asia on November 27.
Meanwhile, the rebel group, in a press statement dated December 1, said their action was in response to
the people’s vehement demand for the end of militarization in the countryside and an answer to the “all-out war” declaration of the Armed Forces of the Philippines’ (AFP) in Negros.
The group also alleged that the 15th IB troops occupied schools, barangay halls, and public markets and transformed houses of locals into their detachment.
Residents were made to wear army uniforms and were forced to guide combat operations, they said.
The group said the military also allegedly threatened people with their firearms and take pictures of people they suspect as NPA.
These measures do not only sow terror, violate human rights, and deprive residents in southern Negros of their civil liberties, they added.
But for Arevalo, the rebels attacked the detachment because it will definitely affect their movements in the area.*