Capi­tol, WT closer to seal­ing P1.2-B deal for build­ing

Sun.Star Cebu - - FRONT PAGE - FROM AZLG OF SUPERBALITA CEBU/ JKV

It will be up to the Cebu Pro­vin­cial Board to au­tho­rize Gov. Hi­lario Da­vide III to en­ter into a con­tract with WT Con­struc­tion Inc. for the con­struc­tion of the P1.2-bil­lion Pro­vin­cial Re­source Cen­ter.

The gov­er­nor has ap­proved the rec­om­men­da­tion of the tech­ni­cal work­ing group (TWG) of the bids and awards com­mit­tee (BAC) to award the con­tract to WTC.

Jone Sepe, BAC vice chair­man, said the ex­ec­u­tive de­part­ment had al­ready en­dorsed the doc­u­ments needed to ap­prove WTC’s con­tract last Mon­day, Dec. 4.

Da­vide had said that WTC qual­i­fied as the low­est cal­cu­lated and re­spon­sive bid­der for the project.

But Sepe said he is not sure if their en­dorse­ment will be dis­cussed dur­ing the PB’s reg­u­lar ses­sion on Mon­day, Dec. 10.

Last month, WTC passed the post-qual­i­fi­ca­tion process af­ter it pro­vided the BAC-TWG with com­plete tech­ni­cal, le­gal and fi­nan­cial doc­u­ments on its ca­pa­bil­ity to pro­ceed with the project.

De­nial

Sepe, though, re­fused to com­ment on the re­cent let­ter sent by the Na­tional His­tor­i­cal Com­mis­sion of the Philip­pines (NHCP) to the Capi­tol.

In a let­ter to Pro­vin­cial Ad­min­is­tra­tor Mark Tolentino, NHCP chair­man Rene Es­calante ques­tioned why the Capi­tol pro­ceeded with the bid­ding of the project without sub­mit­ting a new de­vel­op­ment plan to the com­mis­sion.

The NHCP is con­cerned that the Pro­vin­cial Re­source Cen­ter’s de­sign will af­fect the her­itage value of the old Pro­vin­cial Capi­tol build­ing.

But Sepe de­nied the al­le­ga­tions made by Rep. Gwen Gar­cia (Cebu, 3rd dis­trict) that Capi­tol of­fi­cials are fast-track­ing the project since next year will be an elec­tion year.

“The project was con­cep­tu­al­ized in 2014. The fol­low­ing year, we hired con­sul­tants to look into it. It just so hap­pened that it took them a while to come up with the build­ing’s de­sign. There was a process we had to go through. This didn’t hap­pen overnight,” Sepe said in Ce­buano. /

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Philippines

© PressReader. All rights reserved.