POL­I­TICS EYED IN JOB CUTS

2 PB mem­bers who nixed a mea­sure to let Gover­nor Da­vide sign the con­tract for the P1.3-B Re­source Cen­ter lost job or­der work­ers But Provin­cial Board Mem­ber Jerico Ru­bio, who ap­proved the mea­sure, did not lose his job or­der work­ers Provin­cial Hu­man Re­sourc

Sun.Star Cebu - - FRONT PAGE - SHEILA C. GRAVINEZ / Su­per­balita Cebu re­porter

Is the Da­vide ad­min­is­tra­tion get­ting back at mem­bers of the Cebu Provin­cial Board who didn’t au­tho­rize the gover­nor to en­ter into a con­tract for the con­struc­tion of Capi­tol’s P1.3-bil­lion Re­source Cen­ter?

This is what some Provin­cial Board (PB) mem­bers be­lieve after the Provin­cial Hu­man Re­source Man­age­ment Of­fice (PHRMO) didn’t re­new the con­tract of some of their job or­der ( JO) work­ers.

But PHRMO head Bonifer Na­corda de­nied there was any­thing po­lit­i­cal in the non-re­newal of the con­tracts of 17 JO work­ers as­signed to the PB mem­bers start­ing Jan. 1.

“I un­der­stand that the elec­tion is com­ing. Due to my man­date as HRMO, plus the fact that our of­fice has been rec­og­nized by the Civil Ser­vice Com­mis­sion, mean­ing I’m also pro­tect­ing our ac­cred­i­ta­tion, hir­ing of per­son­nel has never been po­lit­i­cal to me. I’ve al­ways been very ob­jec­tive so that I cater only within the lim­ited bud­get to the va­can­cies that are in­te­gral to the dayto-day op­er­a­tions of the agency,” Na­corda said in Ce­buano.

The is­sue came to light after SunS­tar Cebu and Su­per­balita Cebu colum­nist Bobby Nalzaro dis­closed in his col­umn that Cebu Gov. Hi­lario Da­vide III was us­ing the non-re­newal of con­tracts for JO work­ers as a way to re­tal­i­ate against PB mem­bers who didn’t fa­vor giv­ing him au­thor­ity for the con­struc­tion of the con­tro­ver­sial build­ing.

PB Mem­bers Sun Shimura and Raul Ba­cal­tos con­firmed that the con­tracts of two of their job or­der work­ers had not been re­newed.

Shimura told Su­per­balita Cebu that the con­tracts of two job or­der work­ers, who had been as­signed to fol­low up on the res­o­lu­tions of the barangays within his dis­trict, had not been re­newed.

Shimura didn’t dis­count the pos­si­bil­ity that the non-re­newal was po­lit­i­cal.

“I feel sorry for them be­cause they had been with me since dur­ing Gov. Gwen (Gar­cia)’s time. Their con­tracts were al­ways re­newed. Gov. Jun­jun (Da­vide) has as­sumed of­fice for two terms. This is the first time that our job or­der work­ers have been af­fected by pol­i­tics,” Shimura said in Ce­buano.

Ba­cal­tos said it was the pre­rog­a­tive of the gover­nor and vice gover­nor to ap­prove their re­quests for job or­der work­ers.

“We can only re­quest them to al­low our staff mem­bers to work as job or­der work­ers,” Ba­cal­tos said.

Shimura and Ba­cal­tos were two of six PB mem­bers who voted to de­fer a mea­sure that would have al­lowed Da­vide to en­ter into a con­tract for the con­struc­tion of the P1.3 bil­lion Re­source Cen­ter.

Other PB mem­bers who op­posed giv­ing au­thor­ity to Da­vide were Ed­sel Ga­leos, Vic­to­ria Coromi­nas-Toribio, Yolanda Daan and Alex Bing­hay.

PB mem­bers who ap­proved the mea­sure were Miguel An­to­nio Mag­pale, Ce­lestino Martinez III, Jerome Li­brando, Jose Mari Sal­vador, Ho­ra­cio Franco, Jude Thad­deus Sy­bico, Earl Tidy Oyas and Jerico Ru­bio.

PB mem­bers Christo­pher Bar­icu­a­tro, Glenn Bercede and Jovito Thadeo Ouano ab­stained.

Ru­bio said his job or­der work­ers had not been re­moved.

Hav­ing no idea that the con­tracts of some job or­der work­ers as­signed to the PB mem­bers were not re­newed, Vice Gov. Agnes Magdis­burse­ment pale said she would talk to the con­cerned de­part­ments on the mat­ter.

The PHRMO’s Na­corda ex­plained that the con­tracts of the job or­der work­ers had ended, and they plan to use the funds for their hir­ing to open new im­por­tant po­si­tions in the provin­cial and dis­trict hos­pi­tals since the thrust of the Da­vide ad­min­is­tra­tion is geared to­ward the im­prove­ment of health ser­vices.

Na­corda said each PB mem­ber is as­signed 11 or­ganic per­son­nel.

But due to the var­i­ous projects as­signed to each PB mem­ber, job or­der work­ers were pro­vided to the mem­bers for tem­po­rary as­sis­tance whose salaries were funded by the Provin­cial Ad­min­is­tra­tor’s Of­fice.

“Due to the in­creas­ing need for ad­di­tional per­sonal in the provin­cial and dis­trict hos­pi­tals, we de­cided to re­call their job or­der work­ers. But their 11 or­ganic work­ers are still in­tact,” Na­corda told Su­per­balita Cebu.

Na­corda said some job or­der work­ers, whose con­tracts were re­newed ev­ery six months. worked for less than three years at the Capi­tol. He added that work­ers whose con­tracts were no longer re­newed could reap­ply for other job va­can­cies at the Capi­tol.

Sep­a­rately, Cebu Rep. Gwen­dolyn Gar­cia claimed Da­vide is us­ing the job or­der work­ers to si­lence op­pos­ing PB mem­bers.

“And he says my ob­jec­tions against the “Torre ni David-e” are po­lit­i­cally mo­ti­vated? Who’s the one politi­ciz­ing now?” Gar­cia said in a text mes­sage to SunS­tar Cebu. /

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Philippines

© PressReader. All rights reserved.