SECURITY DETAIL OF OFFICIALS RECALLED
The security details of local and national public officials, councilors up to senators, have been recalled after the start of the election period on Sunday, Jan. 13. According to the Cebu Provincial Election Office, the officials can request for reinstatement of their police escorts, but this will undergo threat assessment. The gun ban is also implemented during the election period, which will end on June 12. Even before the election period started, Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III said he already lost his police escorts. Police Regional Office 7 Director Debold Sinas recalled the security details of governors, mayors and councilors in July last year. This year, the routine recall of the police escorts is again implemented to prevent violence and involvement of police officers in politics. After his police escorts were recalled, Davide said he has been accompanied by some Capitol employees during his public engagements. “They (police) should be in the field, especially this time, for the peace and order situation. They can be used if they are in their respective stations. My two former details, they returned to their stations and the two have retired already,” Davide said.