Guagua mayor unfazed by suspension order
GUAGUA— Mayor Dante Torres of this town said that he will continue to do his job as municipal mayor adding that he will exhaust all possible legal actions against the 90-day preventive suspension from the Sandigangbayan.
“For now, it’s all work. The people of Guagua should not be short-changed in terms of service,” Torres said, adding that he will be focusing on pushing for his government policy agenda through.
He added that the issue is not weighing him down. In fact, Torres had led the press conference regarding the town’s upcoming founding anniversary celebrations for the month of May. Dubbed “Aldo ning Balen Wawa”, the event will focus on the town’s economic, historic and cultural importance.
The Second Division of anti-graft court Sandiganbayan ordered his 90-day preventive suspension from office in relation to the technical malversation charges filed against him. Torres is on trial for the alleged illegal use of P2.76-million in public funds in violation of Article 220 of the Revised Penal Code.
The funds were used for the rehabilitation of the Manuel P. Santiago Park. Under a municipal ordinance issued in July 2014, however, the funds were intended for the rehabilitation of the Aurelio Tolentino frontage area and the purchase of a refrigerator van and heavy equipment.
Torres had earlier branded the issue as politically motivated.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY. Floridablanca Mayor Darwin Manalansan and Vice- Mayor Mike Galang pose with Department of Science and Technology-Pampanga Director Michelle Quiambao (2nd, R) during Monday’s meeting on the materials recovery facility, shredder...