ART IN SEVEN WAYS FOR CHILDREN
JENNY D. NACU
Art is one’s expressions of experiences through images, music, dance and the like. Through this, it enables us to see life asan “art” and its value. What we see depends on what we know. The more perspective we bring to a particular work, the more we can see it as representing this or that. In art, we can afford to ‘I know what I like” only if we first know what we are seeing.
History shows that Filipinos are world–class painters. We are proud to have Juan Luna, who was famous for “Spolarium”. We also have Damian Domingo, Felix Hidalgo, Fernando Amorsolo and Maestro Vicente Manansala. All of them were artistically gifted and well known for their outstanding masterpieces.
Through art, children can express their thoughts and emotions in a creative and productive manner. Most of teachers are aware of the importance of art in the overall development of our pupils but not all of us know how to teach art to our pupils
There is no better time for our pupils to learn art than while they are still young. The following are some suggestions to guide teachers who wish to teach art effectively.
1. During Art Lessons, advise your pupils to bring old newspapers to cover their chairs and tables. They should maintain the cleanliness of their classroom while they are working and for the next subject matter.
2. As teachers, we should put more emphasis on the creative process rather than result or the outputs of our children. Pupils will usually use their art materials in a way that is unique and meaningful for them. Let them come up with their own masterpieces.
3. Make it a habit to save your pupil’s artwork. To let them know that you value their work.
4. Pay attention to the way you respond to your pupil’s art work because that will be the key to your pupil’s development.
5. Avoid giving negative comments that could discourage the pupils. Always put emphasis on the positive side.
6. If you notice that one of your pupils has potential, then you should encourage him/her to practice more often, because practice makes perfect.
7. Tell the parents to enroll him/ her in special art classes. This will help him develop his skills and adopt new trends.
The author is Teacher II at Floridablanca Elementary School