SC junks lawyer’s petition ABS-CBN
The Supreme Court (SC) has dismissed outright the petition of a lawyer who challenged the National Telecommunications Commission’s (NTC) cease and desist order (CDO) that forced television network ABS-CBN Corporation to halt its nationwide broadcast last May 5.
In a full court resolution issued after its full court session last June 16, the SC ruled that petitioner, Atty. Paris Real, has no legal standing to file the case.
As of Wednesday morning, the SC has not released its resolution.
The petition filed by ABS-CBN itself against the NTC’s CDO is set for deliberation on July 13, Chief Justice Diosdado M. Peralta said last week.
It was not known immediately if ABS-CBN’s original and reiterative pleas for a temporary restraining order (TRO) against NTCs CDO would still be considered or if the petition itself is submitted for decision.
Earlier, the SC had dismissed the petition, also for lack of legal standing, of lawyer Lorenzo Gadon who pleaded the High Court to stop the NTC from issuing ABSCBN a provisional authority (PA) to operate.
Gadon had earlier withdrawn his petition and claimed his case had become moot with the issuance of NTC’s CDO.
But the SC, instead of granting the motion to withdraw, dismissed Gadon’s petition.
The SC said:
“Filing cases in the Supreme Court is a serious affair. It should never be considered except when all the requisites of judicial review are present. Certainly, it should never be contemplated by one who admits not suffering any legal injury. Not only will the over eagerness to file border on the contumacious, it also puts in unnecessary peril the legal arguments of the person or entity that has an actual case.”