Archbishop Reyes Avenue, Cebu City
It is the portion of what is formerly known as D. Jakosalem Extension extending from Gorordo Avenue to Jose dela Montana ( now known as Pope John Paul II Avenue).
Gabriel Martelino Reyes was born on Mar. 24, 1892 in Kalibo, Capiz ( Kalibo is now a province). He was ordained priest on Mar. 27, 1915. He was appointed Diocesan Chancellor of Jaro and Secretary of Monsignor James McClosky. He was also Parish Priest of Santa Barbara and also of Capiz.
He was appointed by Pope Pius XI as Bishop of Cebu on Oct. 11, 1932. When the Diocese of Cebu was elevated into an Archdiocese on Apr. 28, 1934, he was likewise elevated as Archbishop. Under his jurisdiction were the dioceses of Jaro, Calbayog, Zamboanga, Bacolod and Cagayan de Oro.
He was appointed by Pope Pius XII as CoAdjutor of Archbishop Michael O'Doherty of Manila on Aug. 20, 1949. Archbishop Reyes, was appointed Archbishop of Manila on Oct. 14, 1949 making him the first Filipino Archbishop of Manila. It was during his term that the parish in Cebu particularly of Guadalupe, Tabuelan and Simala was established. It was he who conceptualized the coming up of a weekly newspaper for the Catholic Church, titled " Lungsuranon", which still exists up to now. In 1939 he started the construction of the Asilo de Milagrosa, a house of refuge for the orphans and the aged. He was also responsible for the establishment in 1940 of the " Knights of Columbus".
Archbishop Reyes succeeded Bishop Juan Bautista Gorordo. He was succeeded by archbishops Julio Rosales in Cebu and Rufino Santos in Manila. The Cebu City Council on motion of Councilor Eulogio E. Borres on May 15, 1962 enacted City Ordinance No. 377 renaming a major thoroughfare in honor of a priest born in Western Visayas who served the people of Visayas and Mindanao and spent the rest of his religious life in the first Archdiocese of the country.
The ordinance was approved on May 24, 1962 by City Mayor Carlos J. Cuizon. The President of the City Council then ( today's equivalent of Vice Mayor) was Mario D. Ortiz ( who later became Mayor).