The Freeman

The pre-Martial Law priests in Cebu


The Archdioces­e of Cebu was led by a Waray for thirty three years his name was Julio Ras Rosales of Calbayog, Samar. Cardinal Rosales was installed Bishop of Cebu on December 7, 1949 and ended his term on August 24, 1982. He died a year after on June 2, 1983.

A major thoroughfa­re in Cebu City has been named in his honor. The road connects Juan Luna now called the Pope John Paul II and Bishop Gorordo Avenue. The street naming was made on November 13, 1995 under City Ordinance No. 1593. The ordinance was approved was then Mayor Alvin Biano Garcia on November 20, 1995.

But before Cardinal Rosales died he became an Adopted Son of Cebu City by virtue of City Council's Resolution No. 265 passed on February 6, 1975."

Atty. Gervasio Lira Lavilles in his book, "Cebu: History of its Four Cities and Forty Nine Municipali­ties" lists the parishes and priests of Cebu (the author is hoping that family members and friends of the priests would provide background­s and informatio­n of those who served the parishes of Cebu):

Metropolit­an Cathedral, Cebu City: Rt. Rev. Msgr. Tomas Maglasang, D.P. (a patriot priest used to be assigned in this church, his name was Toribio Padilla, the street and barangay in Cebu City has been named after him, he was part of the KKK of Cebu that rose against Spain on April 3, 1898). Sto. Rosario Church, Cebu City: Rt. Rev. Msgr. Esteban Montecillo (its first parish priest was Jose Maria Cuenco, he founded the church in 1933, he was eldest son of Mariano Albao Cuenco and Remedios Lopez Diosomito, the country's first woman publisher. He was the elder brother of Senator and Governor Mariano Jesus Cuenco, a street in Cebu City formerly called as Calle Los Martires has been renamed after him).

Capitol Site (officially called as the Our Lady of Sacred Heart Parish), Cebu City: Rev. Eugene Van Vught, MSC (the church has a well-known prayer room known as the Divine Master).

San Nicolas, Cebu City (officially called the Archdioces­an Shrine of San Nicolas de Tolentino Parish. The parish was founded on May 16, 1584. A church was built in 1787 it was however destroyed by the bombings of World War II. Its parish priest was Very Rev. Venerando Reynes who served the parish from 1942 to 1965 and started the reconstruc­tion of the church. His successor, Msgr. Manuel Salvador continued the works of his predecesso­r.

Punta Princesa, Cebu City (officially called theArchdio­cesan Shrine of our Lady of Lourdes): Very Rev. Jose Bosch. The pious and well-loved parish priest, Jose M. Bosch has a street named in his honor. It is the road from F. Llamas Street (Francisco Llamas, one of the leaders of KKK Cebu) in Punta Princesa leading toward Barangay Toong. Fr. Bosch, an Italian, came to the Philippine­s on March 2, 1956, he became assistant parish priest in 1958 and became its parish priest in 1964 up to 1983. It was on March 31, 1997 that City Ordinance No. 1672 naming the street in honor of Fr. Bosch was enacted. It was MayorAlvin B. Garcia who approved the ordinance on April 29, 1997.

Guadalupe, Cebu City (officially called the Our Lady of Guadalupe de Cebu Church): Rev. Bienvenido Tudtud. The Lady of Guadalupe is the Patroness of the Archdioces­e of Cebu.

Talamban, Cebu City (officially called the San Isidro Labrador Parish Church): Rev. Veronico Salvador.

Mabolo, Cebu City (officially called the St. Joseph Patriarch Parish Church): Very Rev. Felino Caballa. Its parish priest in the 1920s Fr. Valeriano Cabantan was responsibl­e for the constructi­on of the present structure. Fr. Cabantan is the name behind the street in Cebu City called V. Cabantan Street. (to be continued)

 ??  ??

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Philippines