Cops suspect Sabalones’ group might regroup
Police are keeping an eye on the possibility that the group of self-confessed drug lord Franz Sabalones might regroup in an attempt to fund the campaign of politicians running in the May polls.
“Accordingly, there is a report nga nag-resurgence ilang grupo, at least election time, and it has been proven na previously gyud that Sabalones helped fund the candidates in southern Cebu that’s why we are preventing that,” said Police Regional Office - 7 Director Debold Sinas.
He said reports have surfaced before that the Sabalones drug group backed the campaign machineries of politicians in San Fernando town.
Sinas, however, chose not to disclose the names of the politicians reportedly in Sabalones’ payroll.
Sinas said the latest move to relieve police forces in Daanbantayan and San Fernando last Saturday was a preventive measure to avoid corruption as they may be more tempted to receive payola from drug personalities.
He clarified, though, that no report of cops receiving bribe money from drug groups has surfaced just yet.
Those relieved from their posts were sacked complacency in their operations.
“This will also serve as a warning sa among chief of police for everybody to deliver, and we know na sa imong lugar, daghan ka targets. Naa ka mga high-value targets. Tapos wala ka action, complacent ka then we will do what we think is right,” Sinas said.
Another factor that made the police suspect a resurgence of Sabalones’ group are the deaths of two alleged drug personalities linked to Sabalones.
Tocillo Ababon who was being transported to court was shot in a police car ambush in Argao last January 9. The following day, San Fernando councilor Reneboy Dacalos was shot by at least four motorcycle-riding assailants inside his brother-in-laws sari-sari store.